- Office: RCC 157
- Phone: 416-979-5000 x6398
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Media:
April Lindgren is an associate professor at Ryerson University’s School of Journalism, and founding director of the Ryerson Journalism Research Centre. Before joining the School of Journalism faculty in 2007, Prof. Lindgren worked for more than 25 years as an economics and political reporter, editorial writer and television and radio commentator in Ottawa and Toronto. Her work has appeared in the Montreal Gazette, Ottawa Citizen, National Post, Calgary Herald and Vancouver Sun among other publications. Under her direction, the Local News Research Project, funded by both SSHRC and CERIS-The Ontario Metropolis Centre, explores the role of local news in cities. Prof. Lindgren is also the author of Headline: Murder, nominated for the 2009 Arthur Ellis Canadian Crime Writing Award for Best First Novel. In 2005-2006 she was the St. Clair Balfour Journalism fellow at the University of Toronto. She has degrees from Carleton University and the Graduate School of International Studies in Geneva, Switzerland.
BJ, Carleton University
Diplôme in International Relations, Graduate Institute of International Studies, Geneva, Switzerland
News coverage of cities, local news poverty, ethnocultural news media, journalism and and politics
Canadian Communication Association
Toronto Neighbourhood Research Network
- Lindgren, April, Hodson, Jaigris and Corbett, Jon. (Jan. 23, 2017). Canada’s local news “poverty.” http://policyoptions.irpp.org/magazines/january-2017/canadas-local-news-poverty/
- Lindgren, April and Jon Corbett. (June 14, 2016). The Local News Map: Tell us what is happening to local news in your community. https://localnewsmap.geolive.ca/
- Lindgren, April. 2016. Aiding and abetting: How police media information units shape local news coverage. In eds. Chris Richardson and Romayne Smith Fullerton. Covering Canadian Crimes: What Journalists Should Know and the Public Should Question. University of Toronto Press: Toronto.
- Lindgren, April. (2015). Municipal communication strategies and ethnic media: A settlement service in disguise. Global Media Journal: Canadian edition – Multicultural Media and Immigrant Integration (8)2, 49-71.http://www.gmj.uottawa.ca/1502/v8i2_lindgren_e.html
- Lindgren, April. 2015. Ethnic Media: On the Margins No More. In eds. Harald Bauder and John Shields. Canadian Scholars’ Press: Toronto. Immigration, Integration, and the Settlement Experience in North America, 367-387.
- Lindgren, April. 2014. Toronto-area ethnic newspapers and Canada’s 2011 federal election: An investigation of content, focus and partisanship. Canadian Journal of Political Science (47)4, 667-696.
- Lindgren, April. 2011. Interpreting the city: Portrayals of place in a Toronto-area ethnic newspaper. Aether: The Journal of Media Geography. 8a, 68-88. Available from http://mgm.arizona.edu/sites/default/files/articles-pdf/lindgren.pdf