About the award
Estimated at $1,000.
The Rolf Lockwood NewCom Scholarship was created to honour the career of NewCom Business Media writer and publisher Rolf Lockwood.
For the best example of a magazine article focusing on business journalism.
Rolf Lockwood is editorial director and publisher of Today’s Trucking, and a winner of the CBP Harvey Southam Editorial Career Award. He is one of the founding partners who created the magazine (and now website) from scratch, and 20 years later he’s still trucking!
- Applicants must be in the third or fourth year of the journalism program at the time of application;
- Students must be in clear academic standing, with a minimum GPA of 3.30 (B+);
- Students must have written and submitted the best example of a magazine article focusing on business journalism over the academic year previous year;
- Students must include a letter explaining how they meet the criteria above and what business journalism means to them.
Your application must include:
- A cover sheet stating only: the award you are applying for, your name, your student number, your year of study and your CGPA (in that order). This cover sheet is for administrative purposes only. Please do not include any additional information on the cover sheet;
- a letter explaining how they meet the criteria above and what business journalism means to them;
- a magazine article focusing on business journalism, written over the previous year.
2017 Mitchell Thompson
2016 Sarah Cunningham-Scharf
2015 Viviane Fairbank
2014 Cormac McGee
2013 Cormac McGee
2012 Rhiannon Russell
2011 Vidya Kauri
2010 Marta Iwanek
2009 Julie Ryland