RCC223 renovations are completed.  We are looking forward to working in the new audio podcast and mobile lecture lab.


You can now do online equipment bookings through WebCheckout.  You MUST sign the Equipment Liability and Policy Agreement and deliver in person to the EDC.  You will also have restrictions on types of equipment and length of booking.

FCAD has a new faculty-wide research hub (the Catalyst) located on the second floor of the RCC.



You are required to attend the mandatory orientation session scheduled for Tuesday, August 27th at 8:30 a.m. Orientation will start in the Venn (RCC103) which is located in the Rogers Communication Centre (RCC). The orientation session will last the entire day. You will receive a schedule of events when you arrive.

You should bring a lock, your timetable, and money. The Journalism Course Union (JCU) will be selling frosh tickets (if not sold out). You should bring your personal laptop as you will have the opportunity to set up and connect to the School of Journalism’s network and printers.

We suggest you look at the Student Handbook.

In order to cover events, you will need to identify yourself as a journalism student.  Therefore, you will be required to take a press pass photo.  You need to have your Ryerson OneCard with you to get your press pass card. The press pass card will only be made in the name appearing on your OneCard.  If you do not have a OneCard you will be instructed to go to the OneCard office.  This press pass photo will be used every year you are registered in the School of Journalism. There is a $10.00 fee for replacement cards.

You will also be required to sign a Photograph/Image Consent Form.



You are required to attend the mandatory orientation session scheduled for Thursday, August 29. Orientation will start in the Catalyst (RCC230) which is located in the Rogers Communication Centre (RCC). You will receive a detailed schedule of events when you arrive.

You should bring your personal laptop as you will have the opportunity to set up and connect to the School of Journalism’s network and printers.  Network set up (RCC213) and press pass photos (RCC207B) will be done.

We suggest you look at the Student Handbook.

You will be required to take a press pass photo. In order to cover events, you will need to identify yourself as a journalism student. This press pass photo will be used every year you are registered in the School of Journalism. There is a $10.00 fee for replacement cards.

You will also be required to sign a Photograph/Image Consent Form.


Inbound Exchange Students

If you need any help or have any concerns, you can contact Bev Petrovic or Lisa Taylor.

You should bring your personal laptop with you as you will have the opportunity to set up and connect to the School of Journalism’s network and printers. If you experience difficulties with this, please set up an appointment with Lindsay Hanna.

We suggest you look at the Student Handbook

You may take a press pass photo in order to cover events. This press pass photo card will identify you as a journalism student. There is a $10.00 fee for replacement cards. Contact Bev Petrovic to set up an appointment.

You will also be required to sign a Photograph/Image Consent Form.


Tips For Great Photos
– Bring a brush or comb for your hair. Hairspray or even water is helpful for flyaway hair.
– Wear solid colours. Avoid complex patterns and black or white clothing. Mid tone colours are best. We suggest mid tone red, greens or blues if you have them. The camera loves strong colours.
– A coloured tie or a scarf is fine. This is not a formal photograph and we want you looking yourself.
– Shirts with collars are nice because they help frame your face with colour. Again, avoid dark colours/clothing. This is especially important if you have long dark hair.
– Try to avoid shirts made of thin or shiny material. The light is a soft light but it is intense and will bleed through the thinner material and reflect off shiny clothing.
– We want to avoid you looking shiny so please bring powder if you have it.
– Cover up and concealer is helpful if you have them.
– Typically, hair down looks better in photos than hair up but again wear your hair how you are comfortable with it.

These are just suggestions but do try to avoid dark, white or black clothing. Ultimately be comfortable.

Load More


Let’s Get Started

If you are going to miss class, please email your instructor to notify them.

When a student formally requests academic consideration on health grounds, Ryerson University requires
that a Health Certificate or letter from an appropriate regulated health professional be submitted to verify
and understand the impact(s) of incapacitation on the student’s academic functioning.
Why is this information required?

To receive reasonable and appropriate consideration, a certificate for missed or affected classes, tutorials,
practica, labs, assignments, tests or examinations must be presented to Bev Petrovic. See
the Ryerson University Academic Consideration Request Form.



Janice Neil, Chair Ext. 5318 janice.neil@ryerson.ca
Joyce Smith, Research Director Ext 6394 j1smith@ryerson.ca
Bill Reynolds, Associate Chair Ext. 6294 reynolds@ryerson.ca
Lisa Taylor, Undergraduate Program Director and Faculty Exchange Coordinator Ext. 7195 lisa.taylor@ryerson.ca
Asmaa Malik, Graduate Program Director Ext. 2787 asmaa.malik@ryerson.ca
Tonisha McMeckin, Graduate Program Administrator Ext. 2756  mj@ryerson.ca
Aseel Kafil, Manager of Administration Ext. 2710 aseel.kafil@ryerson.ca
Bev Petrovic, Student Affairs Coordinator Ext. 6392 bpetrovi@ryerson.ca
Jaclyn Mika, Departmental  Assistant Ext. 6391 jmika@ryerson.ca
Daniela Olariu, Customer Service and Communications Officer Ext. 5319 office.journalism@ryerson.ca
Angela Glover, News Media Production Specialist Ext. 7162 aglover@ryerson.ca
Gary Gould, News Media Production Specialist Ext. 7463 ggould@ryerson.ca
Lindsay Hanna, Digital Content and Web Design Specialist Ext. 7468 lindsay.hanna@ryerson.ca
Sally Goldberg Powell, News Media Production Specialist Ext. 6914 sgpowell@ryerson.ca

Register for a Ryerson email account with your student number. Find information on how to obtain a Ryerson email and activate your online identity

Ryerson Policy of Senate states that all communication with faculty, staff and students must be via your Ryerson email address.

Ryerson’s Administrative Management Self Service (RAMSS) is a one-stop shop for everything you need to do online, such as viewing your academic, financial and personal information at Ryerson.

RAMSS is your self-service option that saves you time and gives you access to your information and options any time, from anywhere. The RAMSS support services and resources outlined on this site are managed by the teams that make up the Office of the Registrar (RO).

Log in at my.ryerson.ca and click on the RAMSS tab to get started.  For more information can be found at RAMSS support.


D2L Brightspace is the current learning management system (LMS) implemented for Ryerson. It offers various features to enhance classroom learning experiences. Instructors can upload different types of content for students to access at any time. You can find information and login assistance at my.ryerson.ca. Once you have logged into my.ryerson.ca, you will find the D2L Brightspace under the section of Online Courses and Organizations.

For NEW students it’s easy to get your OneCard. Please go to apply online.

There is a fee for replacing lost or stolen cards.


Bring a lock with you early in the term as lockers are first come first serve basis.

Journalism students can have lockers for the year.  Available lockers are listed in a book in the front office RCC141.  Choose a locker number from the book, sign your student number beside the locker number and put the lock on the locker.  Lockers are located in the basement of the RCC.

The Canadian Press Stylebook is a reference book used by journalists. You will be required to reference this regularly throughout the program. You will receive an email from The Canadian Press in the first or second week of classes asking you to activate your account. If you forget your user name or password after activation you should contact Jaclyn Mika.


Grades will be held until any outstanding fines for late equipment return or missed scheduled appointments are paid. Please make sure you pay any fines before the end of semester.  You will not be able to view your grades until the hold is released. Fines can be paid at the EDC by using your OneCard.

If you want to load your OneCard for equipment fine payment purposes you should load onto the “Campus Funds” category.

You can add funds to your OneCard.

Career Boost is Ryerson’s new source for off campus and on campus job opportunities.

The On Campus Program is Ryerson’s newly re-branded Work Study program, and provides our undergraduate students with hundreds of on-campus paid work experience opportunities each year.
The Off Campus Program is a new work experience program aimed at supporting Ryerson’s diverse undergraduate and graduate degree students /alumni and Ontario’s growing businesses.


Participants of the programs gain hands-on experience, build their professional portfolio, make industry connections, and move forward in achieving their long-term career goals.

On Campus Opportunities

 Off Campus Opportunities

Each Fall/Winter and Summer term, a student’s academic and financial status is (re)evaluated by the Student Financial Assistance Office. Therefore, students must (re)apply for Career Boost approval at the start of each Fall/Winter and Summer Career Boost program. Apply for Career Boost approval online at the Student Financial Assistance website.

Once you are hired, you are required to complete a few online modules.  A student cannot begin their Career Boost employment until these modules are completed.  In addition, you must meet with Bev Petrovic to complete a work area Safety Orientation.

Phone Number for Security

Campus Security 416-979-5040 or ext. 5040 from Internal Phone
If you need campus security for any reason do not hesitate to call the number above.

Emergency Alarm

If you feel threatened, you can go to a staff or faculty member.

You might have noticed blue and yellow emergency assistance alarms on the hallway walls in RCC213 and RCC219. When pulled, security is immediately notified. The alarm is silent. If at any time you feel threatened– pull down lever and security will be notified.

Walk Safe Program

The walk safe program service provides Ryerson’s community with a protected escort by security officers or supervisors 24 hours a day to any location on the Ryerson campus, to the Dundas subway or to the following parking lots off campus: College Park surface lot (corner of Gerrard and Yonge), East and West lots at McGill and Church Streets, Sears Lot (Dundas and Mutual Streets), S/E Corner of Dundas and Bond Street lot, N/W and S/W lots at Dundas and Church Streets, Parking Lot under the Ted Rogers School of Business. These are the boundaries that have been laid out to Security and Emergency Services and officers have to ensure a quick response to on campus emergencies. To request an escort, call Security and Emergency Services at 979-5040 or by pressing the yellow button on any campus payphone or ext. 5040 from any internal phone.

Load More



As a student in the School of Journalism, you have access to the Westar/DeWolfe/Secession production library.  Please log into In Session and then click on the link



When you use a Journalism computer whether it be in a fixed lab or a mobile laptop you will need to use your my.ryerson username. Your password will be your student number. For example: Username: john.smith Password: 500456789.  You should be prompted to change your password.  If you have any questions please fill out the Ask RSJ Form.


Information on how to access the network and install printers for both windows and mac operating systems on your personal devices.


The local login for on and off campus use for the Journalism laptops (signed out from the EDC) is:
Note the .\ in front of the user name. That is important.


The School of Journalism has PaperCut – a “pay for printing” system. The software will reside on all Journalism fixed lab computers and mobile laptops. You will have to download PaperCut drivers if you want to print from your own laptop. Each student will be given a virtual account with $10.00 to use for printing. Once you have used the $10.00 credit, printing will no longer be free. You will have to put funds onto your OneCard. Your account will be deducted 10 cents per page black and white and 15 cents per page colour (note the school does not have colour printing). When you print a document it will be held in a print queue. You need to release the print job as follows:
• Double click the PaperCut login Icon
• Login with your user name and password
• Click “jobs pending release” and release your print job
The printer in The Venn (RCC103) will let you photocopy and scan. You can reload your OneCard at the OneCard station located across the hall from RCC141.


You are joining our program at an exciting time for journalists: a time of rapid and continuing change. Many of these changes surround technology, and common methods for journalistic work have expanded to include laptops, smart phones, digital cameras and recorders. Although laptops are not yet a requirement for the Journalism program, you may want to consider purchasing a mobile computing device. Due to the low cost of some of the new technology being used in the School of Journalism, students can now afford to do production and multimedia work in the field. You will be well-armed if you have access to mobile technology when doing reporting and other class assignments. While the school does not require students to own their own equipment, we know many incoming students will be making purchases, the gear guide offers suggestions to help you arrive prepared.

The School of Journalism allows you to book equipment for course related assignments only.  (see note below for information about internships and summer bookings).  The School of Journalism uses an equipment booking software system called Web Checkout. We have a wide variety of equipment that is available to students for academic related projects only. The EDC (Equipment Distribution Centre) has video cameras, audio recorders, microphones, lights, DSLRs, iPods, iPads and laptops. Laptops are only available when not pre-assigned for classes. All equipment must be booked in advance. Students will be notified of the process in the first couple of weeks of classes. If you have a class that requires production equipment (TV, Radio or Online production), equipment can be pre-booked. Students should be reminded to bring their own devices whenever possible as equipment is distributed on first come first serve basis.

You will need to fill out an Equipment Liability and Policy Agreement before signing out any equipment. You will need to have your OneCard with you to complete the document. This document will be kept on file for one year – you will have to submit a new form every year. Fill out the document and take it to the EDC (RCC166) to activate your account. You can also pick up a form in the EDC. You will not be able to sign out equipment until this form is handed in and your account is activated.

You will need your OneCard to sign out equipment and pay fines. You can reload your OneCard at the OneCard station located across from RCC141. If you want to load your OneCard for equipment fine payment purposes you should load onto the “Campus Funds” category. YOU WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE CHARGED A LATE FEE FOR ANY EQUIPMENT RETURNED PAST THE DUE DATE TIME.  Until the fine has been paid, all booking and reservation access will be denied.  Our policy is that if a student has a fine, they can’t use any equipment or facilities until it is cleared.Questions can be sent to Bev Petrovic.

The EDC does not supply batteries for microphones or iRigs.  Please make sure you have extra AA and 9v batteries on hand.

More information and operating hours can be found at Equipment Distribution Centre.

Graduate students have full access to equipment for MRP production over the summer months.

Equipment is NOT loaned out to students between May 1st and August 31.

Equipment is NOT loaned out for internship production unless approved by the department.  Internship employers must supply students with equipment if they are expecting students to produce daily multimedia work.

The School of Journalism posts instructional guides and video tutorials for most of the technology and software used in the curriculum. You will find these posts at In Session. You need to sign in using your RUAD (my.ryerson email) credentials and once you do you will see a “workshop” tab at the bottom of the page.

If you need to do any filming, videography or photography in the SLC please refer to these guidelines before making any plans.

Please don’t take photos of people in or near the Good Food Centre. It’s a privacy issue, similar to the one about news photography near the university’s financial aid office.

What is “Google Suite Apps at Ryerson”?

G Suite at Ryerson is a package of web applications that includes Gmail, Calendar, Drive and Docs, Contacts, and Mobile.

With Gmail you:

  • keep the same @ryerson.ca email address
  • get unlimited storage space
  • enjoy advertising-free email

Students and faculty can choose to use Gmail instead of RMail (staff will be switched to Gmail). To opt-in, log on to my.ryerson.ca and follow the pop-up directions. Please note that the popup directions will only pop up if you have not made a decision of either opting in or opting out yet.

Students and faculty can continue to use RMail if they have any concerns about their email being hosted outside of Canada.  Either way, they will still be able to use other Google applications including Calendar, Drive and Docs.

Getting Started with Google Apps

Videolicious is a free video shooting and editing app that you may require for courses. It can be used on both IOS and android devices. Do not create an account using a personal email address.  You will receive an email from Videolicious inviting you to join. Do not delete this email.  Open the email and follow the simple instructions for activating your account. This is a free educational licence that is activated with your Ryerson email. You need to use the educational licence for class assignments. If you need assistance please contact Sally Goldberg Powell.

Load More


Booking Facilities

Your OneCard should be programmed to let you into Journalism labs and buildings after hours. If you are having problems with your OneCard access please contact Bev Petrovic.


Fixed Computing Labs

RCC101, RCC105 and RCC219 are the dedicated fixed computer labs. If you have a class scheduled in one of these labs you do not have to bring your own device. You will log onto these computers using your my.ryerson user name and password.

Mobile Computing Labs

RCC183, RCC185, RCC187, RCC189, RCC213, and RCC 223 are the dedicated mobile computing labs. If you have a class scheduled in one of these labs you are urged to bring your own laptop device.

Your instructor may pre-book laptops that you can sign out from a pre-booked laptop cart that will be delivered to your lab. You may also sign out individually. Labs are equipped with WI-FI.

Please note there is a weekly schedule posted beside each room that shows when the room will be occupied.  If you need to book a room, please send an email to office.journalism@ryerson.ca. The email should include date and time required, room number, purpose, your name and contact information (email and cell phone).


The Venn

The Venn is the hub of the Reporting Centre and is located in RCC103. You will find PC computers, a printer, TVs, whiteboards and mobile tables and chairs. The Venn is also used for large group presentations and demonstrations. You may be asked to vacate if an event is taking place. You can relocate to the student lounge (RCC103A).


Student Lounges


We have a comfortable student lounge just for Journalism students located in RCC103A. Feel free to hang out in-between classes or whenever you need a break. Remember….the lounge is for lounging…The Venn is for reporting…..

The student lounge has couches, TV, and six PC computers with Adobe installed.



Grad Lounge and Work Space is located at 111 Gerrard Street – GER 101, 101A and 102.

Load More


Academic Support


If you need help with academic matters, please fill the Student Advisement Form and someone will be in touch with you within two business days.

Most enquiries will be answered by email. However, for more complicated matters, an appointment might be scheduled with Bev Petrovic. The School now requires you to give a two-hour notice if you will not be able to make your scheduled appointment. No-shows without notice will be required to pay a $10 penalty fee. Grades will be held if the payment is not made. Please make payment before the end of the semester. Payment must be made using your OneCard in the EDC.



If you need help with academic matters then please email Tonisha McMeekin.

Load More




Yes, the School does have  internship opportunities when you have completed third year (summer) or in fourth year.  You can choose to go on a six-week full time or twelve-week part time internship as part of school credit,  We do ask that you start thinking about internship when you are in third year.



Internships take place in the spring/summer term of first year.
Each student will be placed as an intern in a professional newsroom. On completing the internship, each student will be required to write a substantial paper of theoretical and practical reflection on his or her experience, focusing on what has been learned about the possibilities of introducing new journalistic forms and approaches into professional newsrooms. Pass/Fail 2 credits.



If you are an inbound exchange student, you need to meet with Bev Petrovic within the first few days of your arrival.  Bev will go over your schedule with you to ensure you have the correct number of courses required by your Home University.


You apply to go on an exchange when you are in second year.  Students go on exchange in the winter semester of third year.  Access more information on the exchange website.

Please look at schools that have Journalism listed under participating programs at host Universities.

Load More


Mental Health and Wellness

Load More


Helpful Links

Load More