Setting up the FCAD VPN
1) Open the Network Control Panel
- First, open the System Preferences by going to the Apple menu and choosing “System Preferences.” Or choose “System Preferences” from the Dock.
- Next, click on the ‘Network‘ system preference.
2) Make a new connection
- In the ‘Network’ system preference, you will see a list of network connections. Click the ‘+’ icon, in the bottom left corner, to make a new connection for the VPN.
3) Set the Interface to ‘VPN’ and set the Connection Type and Name
- When you click the ‘+‘ icon, a new window will appear. Click on the ‘Interface‘ popup menu to see the list of choices.
- From the list, select ‘VPN’
- The VPN Type will default to L2TP which you will need to change. Click on the “VPN Type” popup menu and select “PPTP”
- Next, set the Service Name to something you will recognize. In the example below it’s been left as VPN (PPTP) 2 but you can choose any name you like. When you are finished, click ‘Create‘ to create the connection.
4) Make a New Configuration
- Now that you have a VPN connection, you’ll need to make a Configuration for it. Click the ‘Configuration‘ popup menu.
- Click ‘Add Configuration’ and select the connection you just created.
- In the next screen, type the configuration name. This can be anything that is recognizable to you. I generally use “FCAD VPN”. Then click ‘Create‘.
5) Set Server and Account Info
- Now that you’ve created the configuration, you can start entering your VPN information.
- In the ‘Server Address.’ Field, enter fcad.ryerson.ca
- In the Account Name field, enter your username. This should be your my.ryerson login. For example ruad\lindsay.hanna
- Then, click on the ‘Authentication Settings…’ button.
- A new sheet drops down.
- In the ‘Password’ field enter your my.ryerson password
- When you’re done, click ‘OK’
6) Applying the changes
- To save the configuration, click the ‘Apply‘ button in the bottom right of the window.
7) Connecting to the VPN
- Now when you want to connect to the VPN, you can either choose the VPN configuration from the VPN menu or select your VPN connection in the connection list and click the “Connect” button