Ryerson offers many opportunities to work or study abroad.Students on Exchange

Click here for general information about how Ryerson can support you when you go overseas.

There are two methods to learning abroad.

With our Exchange program, a formal exchange can take place when a signed exchange agreement exists between institutions. Exchange students remain registered at their home university while on exchange. This means that they pay tuition as usual to their home university and do not have to apply for readmission when they return.

For a list of FCAD-specific exchanges, please click here.

With the Study Abroad program, students study at a university that does not currently have an exchange agreement with Ryerson. This also applies to anyone who wants to apply to one of our partner universities directly, instead of going through the exchange program. Effectively, this allows you to study at ANY university. Credit for these studies will be granted on your Ryerson transcript only if you meet the LOP (Letter of Permission) requirements.

Other differences between the Exchange program and the Study Abroad program:

Exchange Program Study Abroad Program
Students are selected by their home department’s exchange co-ordinator. Students apply directly to the host university for acceptance.
Tuition is paid to Ryerson. (5 course units per term). Tuition is paid directly to the host university (which can be more expensive).
Course-credit transfers are handled by their Ryerson exchange contact. Course-credit transfers require a Letter of Permission form signed by the home university prior to leaving. Students may not get full credit for courses.
Administrative help is available through the student’s Ryerson exchange contact. Administrative help is available through the host universities’ co-ordinator.
Support and resouces available through Ryerson International.
Average planning and work required prior to experience. More planning and work required prior to experience.