CTVNews.ca is seeking a recent journalism graduate who possesses the skills and fondness for illustration and graphic design, as well as the technical curiosity and ability to learn different programs as required.
This position is for a freelance writer who would be working anywhere from 3-5 shifts a week depending on experience and need.
CTVNews.ca is seeking a digital journalist who can generate original stories, content, illustrations for the website as a reaction to breaking news but also on longer-form projects.
Work may include visualizations in infographics, maps, quizzes, timelines and data journalism.
An ideal candidate will have at least 1 to 2 years of experience in a wire service or online news operation.
An ideal candidate would already have some of the following applications and skills, and would exhibit the capacity and willingness to learn the rest:
- Adobe Illustrator – for creating vector graphics, charts and illustrations that can be used in infographics and animations
- Adobe After Effects — to create animations and special effects for videos.
- Advanced Photoshop skills.
- Knowledge of mapping programs such as Google Maps, CartoDB, and Mapbox.
- Comfortable working with data using tools such as Excel, Access and SQL to analyze data, as well as 3rd party tools such as Google charts and Tableau.
- Some weekend and early morning/evening shifts as assigned. Overtime may be required.
- Must have strong news and editorial judgment, strong copy editing skills, clear and concise writing ability, have an excellent command of the English language, and an ability to write accurate and engaging headlines.
- Ability to work under constant tight deadlines; time management skills and multi-tasking abilities are essential.
- Must be familiar with Canadian Press Style Guide and Canadian libel law.
- Degree in journalism preferred.
- Television experience an asset.
- Must have strong copy editing skills, clear and concise writing ability, excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work well individually or in a team.
- Familiarity with newsroom management systems (e.g. iNews, etc).
- Must have a valid driver’s license.