About the award
For overall academic proficiency, with a demonstrated flair for news and feature writing and demonstrated financial need. The award does not necessarily go to the student with the top academic standing. For this award, writing and financial need are more important than academic standing alone. Estimated at $800.
Del Bell should have been strapped to his chair when he wrote. He took you on quite a ride. Wherever he worked – at the London Free Press or the Toronto Sun – he was the guy with his shirttail hanging out, whose stories were always read to the end. This award was established by Bell’s family and friends, who wish to reward others who share his passion for storytelling.
- Applicants must be enrolled in the second year of the four-year program;
- students should submit what they consider to be their best written piece of work from first year;
- students should submit a letter indicating their eligibility for this award.
- students must submit a completed student budget form and FIPPA consent form.
Your application package must include:
- A cover sheet stating only: the award you are applying for, your name, your student number, your year of study and your CGPA (in that order). This cover sheet is for administrative purposes only. Please do not include any additional information on the cover sheet;
- a letter indicating the student’s eligibility for this award;
- the student’s best written piece of work from first year.
- Student budget form
- FIPPA consent form.
2017 Subhanghi Anandarajah
2016 Declan Keogh
2015 Jake Kivanc
2014 Luke Galati
2013 Alfea Donato
2012 Betty Wondimu
2011 Samantha Lui
2010 Diana Duong
2009 Katherine Engqvist