About the award
For outstanding academic achievement in cultural journalism or critical writing on the arts, as demonstrated in course work, published writing and/or broadcast material. Estimated at $1,000.
Betty Michalyshyn spent most of her professional life as a publicist, convincing journalists to cover Canadian film, television and the arts. She was loved by the producers, actors and writers she promoted and the many journalists to whom she provided access, photographs and other support they needed to do their jobs. On her death in 2005, her family, friends and CTV colleagues created this endowed award to commemorate her personal and professional contribution to awareness and appreciation of Canadian culture.
To be eligible for this award, a student must:
- be a full-time student in clear academic standing and enrolled in the final two years of the four-year BJ program;
- be self-nominated or be nominated by faculty or a member of the community;
- submit written work on cultural journalism or critical writing as demonstrated in course work, published writing and/or broadcast material.
Your application must include:
- A cover sheet stating only: the award you are applying for, your name, your student number, your year of study and your CGPA (in that order). This cover sheet is for administrative purposes only. Please do not include any additional information on the cover sheet;
- a piece of written work on cultural journalism or critical writing as demonstrated in course work, published writing and/or broadcast material.
2018 Anders Marshall
2017 Kyle Edwards
2016 Patricia Karounos
2015 Jessica Lepore
2014 Erica Lenti
2013 Luc Rinaldi
2012 Kate Spencer
2011 Stephen Baldwin
2010 Bianca DiBiase
2009 Chantal Braganza